Apple frittelle – Frittelle di mele
In Italy after the 6th of January Carnival season starts. It’s a time of happiness where little kids, and some adults, dress in costumes. Where outside of every pastry store you smell the aroma of typical sweets characteristic of this period. Every region has its own traditions and sweets for the Carnival season. In my family we prepare sweets typical of the Veneto region. This is a typical dessert for the Carnival season.
2.2 lbs. apples
4 large eggs
2 cups + 2 1/2 Tbsp. flour
4 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tsp. Rum
4 Tbsp. Milk
grated zest from two lemons
powder sugar to sprinkle
oil to fry
1. Peel the apples, shred them and set them aside.
2. In another bowl the beat eggs, add the sugar and the flour. Mix until well combined then add the Rum, the milk and the grated lemon zest.
3. Add the apples and mix until well incorporated.
4. In a small nonstick pan warm up the oil, being careful not burn it.
5. When the oil reaches a hot temperature you can start adding the frittelle. Shape them in a ball using two spoons and then drop them gently into the oil. They’ll start to swell and to become golden. Fry both sides evenly.
6. Cover a dish with paper towel and when the frittelle are ready place them on the paper towel to remove the excess oil and sprinkle them with powder sugar.
7. Serve them hot or you can also prepare them two hours in advance and serve them later. They’re simply delicious.