Asparagus Pie – Torta salata di asparagi
This is a wonderful recipe to make with asparagus. It is very simple to make and wonderful to eat.
3-1/2 oz. Asparagus tips
3-1/2 oz. ricotta cheese
3-1/2 oz. mozzarella
1/2 cup fresh ground Parmesan
1 package puff pastry*
salt to taste
1. Wash the asparagus tips and drop them into boiling water. Boil them for 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Drain them and set aside.
3. In the mean time roll out the puff pastry until it is nice and thin (a little thinner than a normal pie crust) and put it in a 9″ spring form pan. Roll it out so that it is big enough to come out over the top of the pan.
4. In a bowl mix the ricotta, the mozzarella cut into small cubes, Parmesan and the egg.
5. Lastly mix into the asparagus tips and salt to taste.
6. Put the mixture in the spring form pan.
7. Roll out some more puff pastry to cover the pie and lay it on top.
8. Now about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch above the filling, cut away the excess pastry. Then pinch the top and bottom together. Finally fold the pinch edge down so that it doesn’t burn.
9. Poke the top with a fork a few times and then bake in a preheated oven at 350° for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Let it cool a bit before serving.
This won’t be a very tall cake at all, in fact it is quite short, but believe me it’s fulfilling!. You can serve with a green salad.
* The quantity of puff pastry varies from one brand to another. In my case I needed one package to make both the upper and lower crust.