Coffee Spumone – Spumone al caffè
This is a fun recipe that really isn’t that difficult to make.
4 egg yolks
7 Tbsp. sugar
6 Tbsp. strong Italian coffee
2 shots Rum
1 cup whipping cream
1. In a double boiler whip the egg yolks, sugar and coffee for 10 to 15 minutes being careful not to boil the mixture.
2. Once it has increased in volume and cooked for at least 10 minutes add the Rum, mix in in gently.
3. Pour it into a mixing bowl and let it cool.
4. After it has cooled off you can prepare the whipping cream.
5. Whip the cream in a bowl with a hand mixer or in a food processor. Once it has taken form you can gently fold the egg mixture into it.
6. Mix gently by pulling from the bottom and folding over the top.
7. Once mixed place it in the freezer for about one hour or so. the longer you leave the firmer it should get.
8. Spoon into small dessert bowls and serve immediately with dry biscuits.
The rum will keep the spumone from freezing too hard. If you choose to omit it you’ll need to take that into consideration.
This recipe melts quickly so remove it from the freezer when you are ready to serve.
If you don’t have strong Italian coffee you can make a strong coffee with instant coffee.