Jam Tart – Crostata di marmellata
This is a popular tart that is so easy to make. If you prefer a bit more of a challenge and one with fresh fruit try my fruit tart recipe.
1 cup jam
For the Crust:
1-1/3 cups flour
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
zest from 1 lemon
1 cup jam
1. Starting with the crust, sift the flour and sugar into a bowl. Using the pastry blender or two knives cut the butter into the dry ingredients and lemon zest as quickly as possible until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Add the eggs and combine them with the other ingredients. Wrap the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Remove from refrigerator, roll 2/3 of the dough and place it into a buttered 9 inch tart pan with removable bottom or in a springform pan. Trim all around, fold the overhang under to form the edge and pinch it with your fingertips.
4. Cover the crust with abut one cup jam.
5. Cut the remaining dough into strips about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide. Lay the strips of across the top, two or three vertically and horizontally.
6.Place the crostata in a preheated oven at 350° for 30 minutes or until the crust starts to get golden brown.
7. Let it cool and serve.
You can use the jam or marmalade of your preference. This time I used blueberry, but I often use prune, fig jam or orange marmalade.