Mascarpone cream – Crema di mascarpone
A nice cream that you can eat in a dessert dish with dry biscuits or on top of a cake.
3 1/2 oz. mascarpone cheese
2 eggs, separate the whites from the yolks*
1 Tbsp. Rum
3 1/2 oz. sugar
1. In a bowl mix the egg yolks and sugar together with a hand blender.
2. Add the mascarpone and combine well using a wooden spoon.
3. Lastly add the rum and mix in.
4. In another bowl whip the egg whites until they start to foam.
5. Add the egg whites to the mascarpone, a bit at a time, folding them in gently with a spoon, making movements from the bottom to the top.
6. Chill for one hour or until cold. Serve in a medium glass bowl or in single cups with dry biscuits or better with a slice of pandoro.
Pandoro is a very popular Italian Christmas cake throughout the peninsula. It comes from Verona, my home town, so I’m particularly proud of such a good creation.
*I know that for some of you this will sound like absolute madness. If you are worried about the health risks from eating uncooked eggs I suggest that you ask your grocer for pasteurized eggs. I know that in the U.S. you can purchase them in a carton.