Mom’s Apple Cake – Torta di mele della mamma
This is a recipe for apple cake that my mother makes often, thus I gave it this name. It’s a healthy dessert because it gets it sweetness from the apples.
10 to 12 yellow apples
2 tsp. double acting baking powder
6 Tbsp. potato starch*
12 Tbsp. flour
pinch of salt
lemon zest from one lemon
1 tsp. vanilla
1 shot Marsala wine
10 Tbsp. sugar + 2 Tbsp. for the topping
1. Core, peel and slice the apples in this slices. No more than 1/8 inch thick.
2. Lay the sliced apples evenly into a buttered and floured cake pan. The pan I used for this recipe was 11 x 14 inches.
3. Now put the eggs into a food processor and turn it on at a low speed.
4. With the food processor running add the sugar, lemon zest, 1 tsp. vanilla, salt, flour, potato starch and baking powder.
5. Blend well and then pour the batter over the apples.
6. Pour the shot of Marsala over the top, sprinkle with a couple of spoons of sugar and dot with pieces of butter.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 350° for 45 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and let cool.
9. Serve at room temperature.
The measures may appear a bit strange in the recipe, but that is exactly how my mother taught me to make it, 12 spoons of this and 6 spoons of that . . .
The sweeter the apples the better this cake will be. If you really are against using Marsala wine then just omit it.
*potato starch is available in most any grocery store.