Pasta with tuna fish – Pasta col tonno
This is one of my favorite pasta dishes. Italian tuna fish preserved in extra virgin olive oil and a lot thinly sliced onions. Most Italians add tomatoes to the tuna sauce, but I prefer it without because the tomato covers the taste of the fish.
1 lb. pasta shells
1 large white or yellow onion
2 6oz. cans of tuna fish packed in olive oil
5 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1. Slice the onion thinly.
2. Warm up a non stick skillet and add 3 Tbsp. oil.
3. Add the onion to the skillet mix until well coated with oil and then turn the heat down to medium low.
4. Cook the onion until soft and if needed add a little bit of water. It’ll take at least 10 minutes.
5. Drain the oil from the tuna, add the tuna and 2 Tbsp. oil left to the onions, mix until well combined.
6. Cook the tuna and onions for another 5 minutes.
7. In the mean time cook the pasta as directed. Once ready add the pasta to the tuna and onions mix and serve immediately.