Pizza with hot dogs – pizza con i würstel
Pizza with hot dogs is my son’s favorite. It’s actually a pizza loved by most kids around here. It’s really easy to make, it only has a few ingredients tomato, mozzarella and hot dogs. It’s the most common pizza at birthday parties. As a matter of fact I just had my son’s birthday party the other day and among all the other treats I prepared the dough to make pizza Margherita and pizza with hot dogs. Needless to say that all the kids wanted the hot dog pizza so I quickly changed my plans and added hot dogs to the Margherita I still had to bake.
The following ingredients are for half of the dough if you’re making 2 thin crust pizzas or a thick one
1/2 cup plain tomato sauce without citric acid
about 7 oz./g. 200 Italian cow milk mozzarella or buffalo mozzarella
1 large hot dog or more if you like
dry oregano (optional)
sea salt to taste
extra virgin olive oil
1. Prepare the dough as directed and let it raise for 2 and a half hours.
2. When ready, cover the baking sheet approximately 15 ” x 11″ with parchment paper. I use a regular rectangular baking sheet, but if you want you can use a round pan, the equivalent should be about a 13″ pizza pan. If you’re preparing this pizza for the kids I suggest you to bake it in a rectangular sheet so then you can cut in squares. It’ll be easier for them to eat.
3. When the dough is well raised it’s very playable take half and place it on the baking sheet and stretch it. Help yourself by using your fingers to push it to the borders.
4. Let the dough rise for 30 minute more and in the meantime preheat the oven to 450°.
5. Spread the tomato sauce, sprinkle it with sea salt, dry oregano if you like and a good drizzle of olive oil.
6. Bake in the middle part of the oven for about 10 minutes or until the bottom of the crust starts to turn golden brown.
7. Now add the mozzarella cut in thin slices or cubed and the hot dogs cut in rounds.
8. Cook for 10-15 more minutes. Let it rest for about 5 minutes so the cheese will settle and then cut it in squares or slices if you made a round pizza and serve it right away.