Roast pork loin – Arista di maiale al forno
This is a really tasty way to prepare pork loin.
1-1/2 lbs. pork loin
2 stalks celery
1 large white onion
1 small onion
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 sprigs of thyme
6 sage leaves
4 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp. oil
dry white wine
salt to taste
1. Mince the sage and a rosemary sprig and then add a handful of coarse salt. Mix in well.
2. Peel the small onion and then cut it in half. Take one half and make slices into the cut surface both horizontally and vertically making a sort of checker board pattern about 1/4 inch deep.
3. Press the cut surface into the salt and herb mixture and then use it to rub the pork loin. Repeat this step a number of times until the loin is well seasoned.
4. Place the loin, fatty side up, in a baking dish in a preheated oven at 350° along with the onion half used for applying herbs, 2 sprigs of thyme, the other sprig of rosemary and 2 Tbsp olive oil.
5. Bake for 30 minutes then add the carrots, onions and celery cut in pieces along with the garlic peeled.
6. Pour a half cup of dry white wine over it all and place back in oven.
7. Bake for another 30 minutes or until done, mixing the vegetables once or twice. If they get too dry add a little bit of water.
8. Remove the vegetables and pass them through a vegetable ricer.
9. Slice the pork loin and put it on a serving dish laying one slice up on another to make a row.
10. Pour the vegetable sauce down the middle of the row and serve.
This is an easy recipe despite all the steps involved. If you want to make a larger roast just adjust the cooking times accordingly and add a bit more vegetables.