Spaghetti alla puttanesca
This is classic pasta dish from Naples. It has an intense flavor: a combination of tomatoes, black olives, anchovies, capers, garlic and red hot pepper.
1 lb. spaghetti
3-1/2 oz. anchovies packed in salt*
3-1/2 oz. black olives
1-3/4 oz. capers packed in salt
2 cups tomato sauce
1 clove garlic
1 fresh red hot pepper**
1/3 cup olive oil
salt to taste
1. In a large fry pan sauté the garlic cut into thin slices along with the red hot pepper sliced too in the olive oil.
2. Meanwhile clean the anchovies by removing the spine the tail and washing them well. You should rinse the excess slat away from the capers as well.
3. After the garlic and red hot pepper have cooked for few minutes add the anchovies, capes, olives and tomato sauce.
4. Cook for another ten minutes.
5. Meanwhile prepare the spaghetti as directed.
6. Once the spaghetti are ready, drain and add to the sauce.
7. Mix well and serve hot.
* If you can’t find anchovies packed in salt then you can use anchovies in oil, they aren’t as good but they’ll do.
** If you don’t have a fresh red hot pepper you can use a dry one, just break it up into pieces