Spinach Minestra – Minestra di spinaci
This is a great winter minestra and it’s so healthy too!
1 lbs. frozen spinach
2 quarts vegetable broth
1 cup Italian rice*
1 small white onion finely chopped
2 Tbsp. olive oil
salt to taste
1. Boil the spinach for 10 minutes or until done then drain, squeeze out the excess water and cut it into smaller pieces.
2. In a pan sauté the onion in the olive oil.
3. When the onion starts to soften up add the spinach.
4. Cover with 2 quarts of hot vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
5. Add the rice and boil gently for 10 to 15 minutes or until done.
You should taste it to check if the salt is correct while cooking. If you have fresh spinach on hand use it and this minestra will be even better.
* In my region the most used rice is Vialone Nano, it is particularly big with a rounded shape and a medium length. In any case Arborio and Carnaroli work well too.