If you like Amaretto cookies you love this dessert. In Italy you can find this cake in most every bakery or pastry shop in Verona. This is one of my winter favorites.
7 oz. dry Amaretto cookies*
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1-1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup peeled almonds
1 shot Amaretto liquor
puff pastry for 9 inch pan
pinch of salt
1. Blend the amaretti in a food processor and then set them aside.
2. Now blend the almonds too, however turn the processor on and off quickly as you want to chop them finely, but not turn them into a cream. Set them aside.
3. Put the butter and sugar in the food processor and blend together until creamy and fluffy. Then add the eggs, one at the time until well combined.
4. Now add the flour and a pinch of salt and blend them in.
5. Set the food processor to a low speed and add the almonds and a shot of amaretto.
6. Finally ad the amaretto cookies and mix them in.
7. Roll out the puff pastry until it is nice and thin and put it in a 9″ springform pan. Roll it out so that it is big enough to come out over the top of the pan.
8. Add the filling.
9. Fold the puff pastry from the sides onto the cake. Note that it doesn’t have to cover the whole cake just the first inch or two form the outside.
10. Bake in a preheated oven at 360° for 40-45 minutes or until done. You can check by inserting a toothpick into the center. If the crust starts to brown too much cover it with foil.
11. Let cool before serving.
The quantity of puff pastry varies from one brand to another. In my case I need one package to make the crust.
* By dry I don’t mean old. Amaretto cookies are made in two ways, as a dry and crunchy cookie or a moist and chewy cookie.